Saturday, April 5, 2014

Poptimism

So this isn't a song post (!) but I just came across a very thought-provoking article regarding the current world of music. This brilliant article from the latest New York Times Magazine regarding 'poptimism,' which was previously unbeknownst to me as the counteraction of 'rockism' (I have so much to learn). Mr. Gauld ardently challenges today's worshipping of pop music and its superstars and pushes for listeners to further explore musical options by keeping their ears open for different sounds from what is so commonly mainstream. It's also interesting to remark that what so many music critics write positively on is indeed pop music meant for people much younger than them. However, I don't think that music is necessarily restricted to age groups, and if a 40 year old enjoys the latest Katy Perry album that's fine by me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment