Monday, January 12, 2015

Hard Hitters

Most of these tracks are from last fall, but I find myself continuously going back to them because they are just dope.

This one just refuses to ever get old. So much love for this heavy track infused with hints Daft Punk and can't wait to hear more from the Oliver duo.

Oliver - Light Years Away



With a title like "Cowboy Bebop" how could you doubt it? I think Royal lassoes in his DJ skillz pretty solidly in this one, as it's original material and not a remix. The bass hits deep and it's short enough to keep your attention without getting carried away.

Royal - Cowboy Bebop



When I said "hard hitters" I was mostly referring to this one by Madeon. (Imperius curse from Harry Potter anyone?) I've absolutely loved this French DJ since he released his track "Pop Culture" back in 2011 with its fascinating video of his hands mixing up several different tracks. Needless to say, his latest here does not disappoint.

Madeon - Imperium



I love the new dimension that Louis The Child brings to Zella Day's "Compass." The wobbling drops are pretty unique and I love the digitalis synth that comes in towards the end of the track.

Zella Day - Compass (Louis The Child Remix)



Even though the lyrics of this track might seem a bit sad and desperate, Amtrac brings some uplifting vibes to it. It's ambient in the perfect way and is a good one to just chill to and find some peace.

Shakka - When Will I See you Again (Amtrac Remix)



I definitely won't be getting over this song anytime soon. Yes, the words are a bit harsh, but it kind of forces you to re-examine your life and ask yourself what the fuck you're doing with your time. I definitely consider myself to be "one of the dreamers," so this is a little motivational to get my shit together, try to be better, and do something that truly matters. With a clever band name such as Hopium, I expect it to be good, and Two Can brings some serious heat with the bass in his version of the track, which really makes it much better.

Dreamers - Hopium (Two Can Remix)



I love this track so much that I tried (in vain--I can't talk that fast without breathing/swallowing) to learn the Kendrick Lamar verse of it. SO FIRE. And this remix by Nightizm makes it even better in my opinion. Songs that convey a real message mean a lot to me; we are all probably luckier (more #blessed) than we can ever truly fathom, so be grateful and go as far as you can with that luck.

Schoolboy Q & Kendrick Lamar - Blessed (Nightizm)

No comments:

Post a Comment